.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Allow Me to Make Myself Quite Clear

Like many people, I prefer my hard-shell tacos whole and unbroken, free of shell fragments and corn-based detritus. It is not my style to dine on quasi-nachos when only a taco will do. It is only a matter of form, some might argue; tousle a taco and you have nachos – pat nachos into a half moon and you have a taco. What it really comes down to is style. I agree with these pragmatists, up to a point. Yes, taco and nacho ingredients are similar, if not identical, but form before function, that's what I always say. Style before substance, I always say. Furthermore, toads ought to wear tailored clothing and drive automobiles about the countryside. I know toads enjoy this freedom in Europe, perhaps even in "Old Europe," but do they exercise their sartorial and automotive rights here in America? I’ve never seen clothed toads motoring in Minnesota, but perhaps they cleave to the climate and culture of the South. I know I do. Faulkner said it best, I do think: "Why, that's a hundred miles away. That's a long way to go just to eat." Which inevitably directs us back to the broken taco conundrum.

6 Comments:

Blogger TotallyHappened said...

What about the Walking Taco?

2:31 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

On the very first bite of a hard-shell taco you wind up with nachos. And the cheese isn't even melted. That's why soft tacos and frogs were invented, so they could plug up the tailpipe of your Bentley.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Broken taco? No prob! Honest Bob's Mobile Taco Repair will turn that meal adrift in semi-nachoness back into a proper taco quickly and with minimal environmental damage. With Honest Bob on the scene, fretting over broken tacos is so this morning.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good lady, I have been condemned to a university in Fife these past three years, and here the toads are known to drive Bugattis and wear paisley cravats. I had become so used to it that the last time I returned home to New York I was rather shocked by their absence.

4:47 AM  
Blogger Desert Cat said...

Damn. Now I'm hungry...

2:25 AM  
Blogger Attila Girl said...

I really like tacos, and the un-melted quality of the cheese make them superior to nachos. They are tidier to eat, and have beef in them, along with a little lettuce.

Of course, bean and cheese burriots are also terrific, particularly if there's a little sour cream on the side.

But tamales are my favorite. Except for Huevos Rancheros, which are also my favorite.

2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home