.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, October 22, 2007

Often

Often, when I am wandering lonely along the shore, mist brushing my nose and wind whipping my hair, I grow melancholy thinking about the time I tricked a baby deer into falling down a well. I stop and sigh and let the tears roll down my cheeks. Why do these thoughts make me so sad? After all, it wasn’t really a baby deer, it was just my friend Schaffer dressed in a puffy hamburger costume. I guess the sadness comes when I think of how cute baby deer are, and how Schaffer lost all those Big Mac coupons while he was thrashing around down there. One could argue that the puffy hamburger costume saved his life, but that’s hardly an excuse for tears. No, no, no – surely this pathos lies with the baby deer. Hmm.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ivan the Terrible said...

Chin up, Esther. No-one could possibly fault you for making your own entertainment, now that toddlers are no longer tumbling down wells of their own accord every five minutes, like in the Good Old Days. I suppose that they are all too obese now.

Wells have long been a source of innocent amusement, as anyone who's heard the joke about Helen Keller falling down one and breaking three fingers shouting for help could tell you. You are merely keeping a fine old tradition alive, and we salute you for it...

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Momma's in or adjacent to the freezer, Dad's hanging in the closet, and now Shaffer's in the well.

11:10 AM  
Blogger kari said...

it's nice to see a post from you, good madam. and shaffer had it coming.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Wilberforce-Packard : How I envy you, indeed, all who can rise to the occasion regarding the emotion of Melancholia. When first I laid eyes on that delightful image done by Mr. Durer I knew at once that Melancholia was for me. But, alas it has not been so. Try not to stray too close to the sea, I have read that its allure can over-power the innocent.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why did you run from the well, Esther? What was it that you saw?... Do you still hear the cries of the hamburger, Esther?

5:03 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

This reminds me of that old song, "Farmer in the Well." Or the old movie, "Three Coins in the Well." All good fodder for people like me.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry about your friend. But baby deer have enough unearned sympathy--we have Disney to thank for that absurdity.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home