.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, October 22, 2004

I Wake the Neighbors and the Dead With My Song

I woke to the wallow-noise of two musk oxen in the backyard. Oi, what!?! Get out of my yard! Just kidding, I bought them at the farmer's market yesterday. I like to pretend I don't know what they're doing out there. But I know.

I'm learning about my musk oxen, and they're learning about me. They demand much of me. For example, they seem to like when I sing patriotic songs, and they sometimes refuse to produce milk if I'm not singing with feeling. They're definitely happier when I'm all tarted up. I feel like a fool, milking my musk oxen in french hussy costume and stage make-up, belting "You're a Grand Old Flag" at the top of my lungs. I know I look good. I just feel silly - and cold. And I sometimes lose my footing.


My new musk oxen, Tracey and Paul Jr.

2 Comments:

Blogger Esther Wilberforce-Packard said...

I just discovered that Fat Old Molly is scared senseless of the musk oxen. And it bothers her that Paul Jr. is female. She told me I should rename Paul Jr. "Betsy." I told her that "Tracey" can be a masculine name also. Then she told me to get out of her kitchen.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Ron Southern said...

Nice oxen. How do they smell?

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home