.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, January 21, 2005

Light Rail: Rodent-Friendly

Yesterday I was on the train, sitting quietly and minding my own business and generally regretting my plan to ride the train. My train was as deserted and quiet as the dark night of the soul, when an enormous, whiskery cuss emerged from behind me and bellowed 'TICKET PLEASE!" I nearly soiled my pants in fright. What sane man would shout on a deserted train? Had he whispered his intentions from five feet away, I'd have heard him clearly.

Then a chubby woman landed one seat in front of me and gnawed off her index fingernail in one piece. No "nibble nibble." No nervous biting. Bestial, focused sawing - from right to left with brutal precision.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert Pearson said...

Greetings my friend. I work in a government office in a distant state, a cold, cold state of winter that is only sometimes warmed by the smiles of children as I pass them in their coats and hats and mittens.

In my government office today I received an application for a citizen's initiative petition re: "Initiative to repeal ELF." I feel lonley and afraid, in a world I never made, oh brave new world, that has such people in it.

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ester,

My Wife reads me your writing often. We laugh out loud, a generous gift. This will be the last comment I ever write. Forgive me.

Murray

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home