.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Lawrence Summers, We Hardly Knew Ye

Do biological differences explain why more men than women tell hilarious fart jokes at science parties? Yes and no. When it comes to excelling in the field of science, there is no "Man" or "Woman." There is only Golgi apparatus and strong force. If you can master the Golgi apparatus and the strong force, you are a scientist. If you are a manly scientist, you are called a "Man of Science." If you are a lady scientist, you are still called a "Man of Science." "Woman of Science" just sounds funny. It sounds like a new eau de cologne. "What is that fantastic scent?" people will wonder. "It's my new perfume - Woman of Science." This damnable confusion of title and scent is, I believe, the crux of the issue for Mr. Summers and me.

1 Comments:

Blogger portuguesa nova said...

I have longed to understand this one myself for quite sometime.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home