.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, April 11, 2005

I Am Only One Person, Ostensibly

Andrea Dworkin died today, and that reminds me of a story. Once I was having an arm-wrestle with someone and I won, but he insisted that I gave myself unfair advantage by moving my elbow. I denied moving my elbow, so we arm-wrestled again. I won again. By that time the boat was half-submerged, so I took the last life vest and hopped into the sea. "Too bad you lost the arm-wrestle," I told him, and I laughed the laugh of ten thousand victors. He drowned that day, and I had a sore arm for awhile.

My point? People are dying all over the place, and there's nothing I can do about it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Cope said...

Maybe if you weren't an arm-wrestling cheat, Pa would still be alive today.

10:56 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Oh, that last line hurts. Now you are my favorite philosopher, as well as my favorite madwoman.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Quirke said...

Andrea Dworkin is one of those ppl one is more likely to read about than read, media exposure such as it is. And you can guess how the media have portrayed her.

It's sobering to think how many of my fave writers are getting on in years; le Guin, Russ, Dreher, Moorhead etc.

4:27 AM  
Blogger David said...

"My point? People are dying all over the place, and there's nothing I can do about it."

So you're not Judge Greer. Get over it.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home