.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Freep? Yes It Is, Only More So.

Ah, Sunday afternoon, with the sitting around and the deep sighing and the sitting around. Also with the deep signing and the sitting around. Sigh. I’m reminded of the time Pee Wee said, “There’s things about me you don't know, Dottie. Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't understand. Things you shouldn't understand.” I’m also reminded of John Jay, honored statesman and premier chief justice of the US Supreme Court. Always I am stymied: is John Jay considered a bona fide founding father, or was he just a guy who happened to know the right guys at the right time? I picture John Jay as an incredibly corpulent man - positively globular - but etchings from the time portray a trim and elegant chap. Not that you can’t be chubby and elegant. Not that you can’t be a chubby, elegant, bona fide founding father.

2 Comments:

Blogger zzzzzzz said...

My Sundays too are spent sitting around and sighing. Sometimes, I sigh so loudly, that the neighbors they are forced to bang on the wall. Then, I have to give up the sighing and begin rolling the eyes.

9:56 AM  
Blogger vanderleun said...

No big fat Jay, as you can see:

http://www.eadshome.com/images/foundingfathers/john%20jay%20portrait.jpg

But he did have the Big Suit long before that Talking Heads guy.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home